Tuesday 30 March 2010

Literary (hair) style

I had a haircut today, and then I took the dog to the groomers for his trim straight after. I had tried to negotiate a two-for-one deal with the dog groomers but they weren’t having any of it. They don’t know my breed very well. It all worked out for the best, since Pooch’s pruning session cost twice as much as my own anyway. I don’t tend to get many compliments after I’ve had a haircut, the best to date being, ‘Oh dear, you’ve had a haircut.’ It would have been slightly less insulting had it not been said with a tone of sympathy. Pooch looks a bit daft after his cut, but he’ll get used to it in a few days. So will I.

I hope to get a better response to the trims I’m making to my novel. Parts of it are a little dishevelled. They need a bit of a wash, a quick massage, and a short back and sides. But other parts need extensions (unlike this cringe worthy metaphor, which has already been extended more than I’m comfortable with). This evening I edited a sequence where the character Ruby is on the run in France. Step by step she needs to do various things to get money, food, shelter, and to stay hidden. I sometimes get a sense that writing this kind of chapter is like a school essay: ‘then she did this, then she did that, and then she did…’ Keeping a mature literary style when describing a sequence of events requires attention to the details of the scene. I have to remember to include the turmoil in the character’s mind and use all of the senses to create rich, evocative settings. But this kind of writing has to be balanced against the need to maintain the pace of the narrative. Phew… it’s not easy being a novelist.

What else is happening in the book? Matt, in Belize, gets a message from Ruby telling him that she’s been taken to France and that she fears for her life. Matt has to find a way to get to France without his money or his passport, and he has to try to get to Ruby before she tries something stupid like escaping on her own. Which is, of course, exactly what she has done.

I felt a little queasy this morning, so I didn’t break any new world records on the treadmill, just kept to a slow and dignified pace. The language lesson went well – I can now count up to 20, more or less. Took some furniture to a charity store, which has helped create space in my house. Now it’s time to go and rinse the loose hair clippings off my ears…

1 comment:

  1. Hello Stewart,

    My apologies first off if by not using 'Mr. Ferris' I appear too contiguous. Like you I am a writer, however a first-time one at that, and one of the things I've picked up is to be yourself and I do so prefer the more personal approach. Incidentally I also read a writer should come directly to the point, which I've now failed to do.

    Moving on...

    I had the Free Writers Newsletter from FirstWriter.com sent to me by my co-writer and wife and the title 'Blog for Redrafting a Novel' immediately jumped out. I figured I'd have gander and to my pleasant surprise I found myself drawn in by your blog and reading 5-6 entries (and that was before breakfast!). I think it's safe to say I feel similarities between you, me, your work and my work (although I have to admit I have never published anything, let alone written for Pokemon and Ricky Gervais). I will keep following you now (erm..non-stalker fashion mind you, strictly digital) and am looking forward to the current cycle of redrafting The Sphinx Scrolls. I no doubt will find useful methods to use for when I wrap up the first draft of 'Simon & Sally' (working title) and get to the task of redrafting my own Godzilla-proportioned young adult novel. For that I thank you in advance as any help at this point in time is most assuredly welcome. And if I can return the favor (maybe by fixing your PC - I'm also an IT person, but don't hold that against me) then by all means feel free to contact me.

    Sincerely,
    Marcel (Mr. Claxton if you feel particularly formal)
    Writer -> musedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete